Sunday 9 March, 2008

The Golden Rules

My life and career has been operated by itself through the many influences I had from the people I relate with, the books I try to digest and the films that I gulp à la carte. This has helped me to set some rules for myself – the rules that help me experience things in new light, think in multiple dimensions and modify myself every now and then. Though I keep on changing or redefining many of them, here are 3 golden rules that I would like to share with you.

  1. Empty Your Cup

Of all the Zen stories I have read, this one message from the Zen master has influenced me a lot. I think it is very important to clear yourself of all the prejudices before you absorb any kind of new learning. The cup cannot be filled unless it is empty. There is an echo of this teaching in Alvin Toffler’s statement, “The illiterates of the 21st century are not those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn”. So freshen yourself up for every kind of learning, no matter how you slice it.

  1. Be flexible and thus, compassionate

Interestingly, the learners learn more of the teacher than from the teacher. Hence the teacher-attitude is more important than the teacher-knowledge. With so many resources around, the learner can gain knowledge from anywhere. What a teacher can offer more is only attitude. My best teacher has offered me this attitude to be flexible. He is the most high-spirited person I have ever seen, dealing with everyone and everything in a rhapsodic and humane way. Everyone felt special and important with him, which made a big difference. Being flexible helps you grow better and be compassionate.

  1. Move vertically, horizontally and diagonally

Professional growth, for many of us, is a vertical growth, which is always symbolized by a stepladder. Our choices are limited to climbing up or climbing down. When I chose to be a teacher in English, my focus was narrowed down to ELT approaches and reading a little bit of literature. This was challenged by my friends with  diverse interests in reading, writing, movies etc. Apart from some magazines and t.v.shows, I had not been going through anything other than fiction. When I began to traverse multiple disciplines in length and breadth, my vision was improved, my analyzes rational and my perceptions multidimensional. I don’t claim to have perfected in any of these disciplines, but trying to know alternative discourses has brought in positive changes. Hence, it’s always advantageous to sharpen your receptive skills and move in every possible direction.

These golden rules have become more or less the philosophy of my life and career. You can map out yours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I Bless the Cup that Wants to Empty


I bless thou then, thou tranquil eye that can look without envy even upon an all-too-great happiness!
Bless the cup that wants to over-flow so that water flows golden out of it,carrying in every direction the reflection of thy delight!
Behold! This cup Wants to become empty and Zarathustra wants to become a man again.
-Thus began Zarathustra's down going.


Blessed were the days when thou carried the ashes to the mountains, as thou now carry back the fire in thy heart.

SUNITHA said...

.....THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA...